Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 3 Supreme 90 Day Tabata Inferno

Tabata Inferno
Let's sum this up in four words:

IT KICKED MY BUTT!

I just completed the hardest workout I have ever done... the Tabata Inferno.  I had to stop shortly after I started when my heart rate flew into high gear and I couldn't catch my breath.  Yes, THAT intense.  I got so warm, I had to take off my exercise shirt and open the windows to let cool air in.  And drink water that had been cooled by ice.  I was so fatigued near the end, I was groaning as the leader showed us what was next.

Remember, I am no youngster.  I'm in my upper 40's and have never been an exerciser.  Going to the gym and working out at home is foreign to my body and mind.  When I started working out, there is a lot of snapping between motions... like alternating feet and launching to get the other foot forward, and motions that emulate taking a jump shot in basketball.  I mean, this is shit I don't normally do!  Well I could feel my heart racing so fast I had to take a break and let my heart rate return to a normal workout zone.  That was about two or three minutes into the workout!  From that point on, I was a bit fatigued, and was careful not to do those snap type exercises too hard.  I added more time between landing and jumping to the next position, and that really helped moderate my pulse.

I was going pretty slow near the end.  Maybe 50% of full speed and that is all I could do.

This video does not use the ball but does use the weights.

My favorite parts: The exercises that are like super crunches emulating riding a bicycle.  I also liked the push up type exercises and the variety we did.
Least favorite: The jumping (snapping to position) exercises.  It really fatigues me and makes my heart race too fast if I do them as enthusiastically as the 20 year olds on the video.

I took a cold shower to cool my body down after the workout.  It felt good.  It is an hour after I finished working out and I still feel a buzz flowing through my body.  I also feel like I could take a nap.  20 minutes might do me wonders.

Meals
I still wonder about the tremendous amount of food I am supposed to eat.  I mean, I wasn't even hungry in the least and it's telling me to drink a smoothie or something.  I think I did 4+ meals yesterday, but not 6.  I was pretty hungry this morning after the workout, so I ate 2 hard boiled eggs, some salmon and a small bowl of high fiber cereal.  I haven't had cereal in more than 5 years, since before I started Atkins (no longer on it).

We haven't had pizza in about four weeks, so tonight we will splurge with a few slices plus a nice salad.

Tomorrow: I might take a rest, or I might advance to Shoulder/Arms.  We'll see.  Either way, later today we go to the gym to work out.

I'm having fun on this Fitness Odyssey.  I hope it inspires you to order the video and workout hard.  Keep moving!

2 comments:

  1. Good job! You did it! there is no shame in modification. I'm with you -- I'm 47 years old. I had to modify some of the jumping stuff too. If I didn't I know I risk injuring myself and I can't even stomach the thought of that. My shoulders/arms was yesterday. REALLY SORE today. And not just in my arms which is puzzling. Keep it up - you are committed and setting an amazing example for your family. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the entire program in a clinical test and I am also in my 40's. I was so impressed with the results!

    ReplyDelete